Monday, March 2, 2009

Help!

So, I just got called to teach the 16-17 yr old Sunday School class. The last calling I had was 2 years ago (I'm really good about laying low...) and I taught the SUNBEAMS. Ok, there's a big difference between 16 yr olds and sunbeams...right? Or not so much? :) In any case, I need advice or ideas on how to keep their attention , etc... This class has a reputation for driving teachers crazy with their talking and general lack of attention. I'm not so sure I can threaten them with taking them to their parents like I did in Sunbeams...or can I? So any advice or ideas send em my way!

11 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow, that is not an easy calling. Our Sunday school class was a nightmare for our teachers from 12 - 18 yrs old. That being said, I think you'll relate well to them. I don't have a lot of tips for you except trying to get them involved in the lesson beforehand, like calling them a day or two before and asking them to share something or teach something. Maybe you could even assign each of them a week to teach. Of course you'd prepare something too and make sure they stay on target, but let them take the lead. I just remember from being a teenager of that age that I was tired of being told what to do by adults. I think it's a good age to have them own part of the teaching. I think they may respect their peers a little more too. I've never done it, so I don't really know if it will work, but hey, if you feel like it, give it shot. I know you'll do a great job with whatever you decide to do. The Spirit will tell you all you need to know.

Sarah said...

I think you'll do better with them than you think. I'm a captive audience when you're talking...

And, YES you can pull the "I'm going to get your parents" or the "if you don't want to be here, leave" (because they'll want to be with their friends) card. Matt did when he taught the same class (for FOUR YEARS. let's hope you're not in for that long) with some good results.

Lori said...

Good luck with that one! Oh my, I would be feeling the same way you do. There is a book called "Teaching, No Greater Call" it might have some good ideas. You could ask the Sunday school pres if they have a copy.

Andrea said...

I think the trick is to have so much planned that they don't have a second to talk. I'd also make them drop their cell phones in some sort of a bin on their way in the door. (I hear thats a huge problem with that age group right now). Then you just have to find the balance between cool and strict, and they'll like and respect you so much that they'll be awesome for you! Good luck

The Doutre Family said...

Candy. Lots and lots of candy.

Karen said...

Thanks guys! Those are all really good ideas. (I especially agree with the candy one...lol.)
I'll have to let ya'll know what works!

Justin said...

I would go with the method approved by the general leadership of the Church, bribe them with Mr. Phip's* cookies!

OK. Haven't confirmed the approval yet (and I do want to keep my membership), but the results** are in and they work!

They will love you as their teacher! You have a gift from our Father above and have a natural ability to relate to these kids and lead them in the way of the Lord.

Love you!

* Mr. Phip's are available for purchase by calling 801-663-1389. Due to high demand, please place orders two weeks in advance.

** results based on a survey of 14,756 Sunday school teachers covering 32 different countries.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm, Mr Phip's cookies... I'd definitely come to your class if you had those.
I think the only teachers that I listened to when I was in that age group were the ones who told us about what was going on in their lives. We actually knew them personally instead of just having them be an authoritative and boring sunday school teacher.
Once, we had a young couple as our teachers and they were adopting some twins whose mom had done drugs. We felt like we were a part of that story of getting those kids so we actually listened to and respected the couple as our teachers, too. So, I guess, just adopt some twins, mmkay?

caron said...

I like it all. :) You have my total sympathy. We made running teachers out of our class room some sort of game. No good, I know, but it's true.
You'll do good, though. Good luck!!

Kara said...

You're a pretty fun person, you'll do just fine. Chris and I taught that age, I think they just have to know that you care about them and respect them and don't just think they're little kids or that you think you know so much more than them... you're not that kind of person anyway, so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about!
Just pray for guidance and the spirit will tell you what to do... good luck!! :o)

Kara said...

Oh, and I think Mr Phips cookies will work great, too :o) Does he ship to Phoenix??